The more weight I lose the more skin I gain. It’s like a never ending battle. I’d rather have all the extra skin over the fat any day. Unfortunately loose skin is one of those negative things that come along with weight loss that most people don’t mention. It’ the unglamorous saggy side of fixing your body and getting into shape. No matter how many crunches, bicep curls, or any workout you can think of the loose skin will always win. You may be able to tone it up a bit on your own, and depending on the amount of weight lost it may not be as significant. For me it’s something I’ve learned to live with, and continue to learn to live with.
The best way to think about how this loose skin occurs is if you think of your skin as a rubber band. It will stretch and stretch and stretch, but once you stop stretching it, it’s difficult for it to regain its exact original shape. This is how your skin reacts with significant weight loss. I stretched my skin out to 315 lbs, now 93lbs later, my loose skin is a reminder of where I’ve been, and how far I’ve come.
I’m not shy about my skin, it’s a part of who I am. Am I ready to post it for the world to see? Naw. Not yet. With time I will. At least I can talk about it though. With those close to me I am open about it, and freely joke about it. I’m not embarrassed by it. I’m not ashamed it’s there. It just is. I’ve never really given surgery much of a thought. I mean, I know it’s an option, but is it worth it? It seems as though many close to me have it on their minds, and have asked me if it’s something I’d consider. I really don’t know. I mean, it’d be nice to actually have a flat stomach with all the work I’ve put in, or to be able to see the definition in my arms instead of the skin. But all that money!!! And for what? To remove the footprints of my hard work and dedication? To have the body society says I should have? I just don’t know that I can justify it. I suppose until I am convinced this is necessary I will just continue to wear some good toning clothing, to squish that stuff where it belongs.
No comments:
Post a Comment